The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
Overview of role:
ZSL’s Cameroon programme is looking to recruit a dynamic individual for an exciting new position as Law Enforcement Coordinator to support its programmatic activities to combat poaching and trafficking. The successful candidate will, in collaboration with the Law Enforcement Advisor, coordinate all aspects of ZSL’s work to support law enforcement and address illegal wildlife trade in Cameroon.
A salary commensurate with experience will be provided. This is a 1 year contract with potential for renewal, dependant on funding. The position is to start as soon as possible.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with project teams and partners on law enforcement operations and procedures
- Establishing and managing information gathering networks
- Managing our community surveillance network
- Providing judiciary follow up of court cases
- Contributing to the development of tools and resources including trainings as needed to support the work.
- Provide technical support to project development, delivery and reporting.
- Assist with maintaining existing and developing new, relationships and partnerships with relevant stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have strong experience in the field of law enforcement (intelligence gathering, information management and analysis, anti-corruption, anti-poaching, wildlife law or/and protected area management).
- Have an excellent standard of spoken French and be able to communicate effectively in English.
- Proven capacity development skills with experience in developing training resources and delivering training are required.
- Independently driven and show initiative
- Confident in verbal and written communications
- Good time management and organisational skills.
- Experience of project management and coordination is highly desirable and a good understanding of biodiversity conservation issues in Cameroon is essential.
For a full job description please visit the ZSL website.
Please note the successful applicant will be based in ZSL Cameroon’s office in Yaoundé, with frequent national travel to field sites in the South and East regions of Cameroon.
Applicants will need to upload their CV plus a covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the “Apply for this job online” button. If you have any queries regarding these positions or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Sunday 18th December 2016.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728