The Rice Business Plan Competition is the world’s richest and largest graduate-level student startup competition. It is hosted and organized by the Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship, which is Rice University’s internationally-recognized initiative devoted to the support of entrepreneurship, and the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. This is the 17th year for the competition. In that time, it has grown from nine teams competing for $10,000 in prize money in 2001, to 42 teams from around the world competing for more than $1.5 million in cash and prizes.
All teams will participate and present on all three days
- Thursday: Practice Round and Elevator Pitch Competition
- Friday: First Round and Feedback Session
- Saturday: Semi-Final Round, Challenge Round and Final Round
Highlights of the Competition include:
- Real-world opportunities to learn what’s required to successfully launch a new business
- Chance to receive mentoring from investors and experienced entrepreneurs
- Scheduled opportunities to network with potential venture capitalists and other investors for three days
- High caliber of judges, all senior level investors, entrepreneurs and industry leaders
- Opportunities to receive individual feedback during three separate sessions
- 2016: $1.7 Million + in prize money was awarded with all teams winning at least one cash award
The goal of the RBPC is to provide the best overall educational and entrepreneurial experience of any business plan/new venture competition and we were very gratified by the feedback we have received from past competitors and judges.
Friday, February 10, 2017 by 5 pm CST : Deadline to submit Application, Executive Summary, and Video Pitch: Submit online: go to RBPC website to access Startup Rounds platform . All teams that complete an Application will receive a free 6 month subscription to Live Plan by Palo Alto Software. Instructions your subscription will be provided after the application deadline.
Monday February 27, 2017 : RBPC announces 42 Teams to Compete
Monday, March 6, 2017 by 5 pm CST : Invited Teams to confirm commitment to compete
Withdrawal Deadline–last day to withdraw without penalty (see below) : Monday, March 13, 2017 by 5pm CDT
Deadline to submit Written Business Plan and Media materials in online application
: Saturday, March 25, 2017 by noon CDT
Judges Review of written BP released to teams in online application : Monday, April 3, 2017
by 5 pm CDT
Revised Business Plan due in online application
For More Information: