Applications are invited for OSISA scholarships for African Women Media Leaders at Rhodes University in South Africa.
The SPI will make a significant contribution to the sustainability of media in Africa by promoting effective and innovative management and leadership practices.
Candidates must already possess an undergraduate degree from a recognised university in order to pursue postgraduate study.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing Postgraduate Programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to women who are already practising journalists or are working in various fields of the media industry.
Scholarship Award: The full cost of tuition
- Accommodation and meals in one of Rhodes University’s residences
- Course materials
- A monthly subsistence allowance
- Medical aid cover
- Mid-year media management internship costs.
Scholarship can be taken in South Africa
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for scholarship:
Applicants should be women who are already practising journalists or are working in various fields of the media industry in Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Successful applicants will register for the SPI’s intensive, one-year-long fulltime Postgraduate Diploma in Media Management (PGDip in Media Management), the only formal qualification in media management in Africa and the developing world. The PGDip in Media Management is pegged at the honours degree level. Candidates must already possess an undergraduate degree from a recognised university in order to pursue postgraduate study.
Nationality: African women’s working in various fields of the media industry in Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Candidates should already have an undergraduate degree in any discipline from a recognised university.
English language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: Students wishing to apply for these scholarships need to:
- Complete the Rhodes University’s standard Honours Application form (available atwww.ru.ac.za/applying/ under the section ‘Postgraduate Studies’ which must be submitted directly to the Registrar’s Division at Rhodes University and a copy emailed to Wendy Dyibishe (w.dyibishe-at-ru.ac.za) at the Sol Plaatje Institute.
- Submit detailed Curriculum Vitae, including contact details, to Wendy Dyibishe.
- Submit certified academic transcripts of ALL tertiary qualifications. These are sent to both Wendy Dyibishe at the SPI and to the Registrar’s Division at Rhodes University; and
- Submit to the SPI — through Wendy Dyibishe atW.dyibishe-at-ru.ac.za– a 1,000-word letter of motivation which explains why the student is interested in doing the PGDip in Media Management, how the course will assist the student’s career and why the student believes she qualifies for the OSISA scholarship.
Application Deadline: The application deadline for these scholarships is November 18, 2016.