Duty Station : Maroua, Cameroon
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, 4 months with possibility of
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 04 December 2016
Reference Code: CFA 2016/31
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this
vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or
short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on
Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the
Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular,
fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Emergency and Post Crisis (EPC) Specialist at
RO Dakar and under the direct supervision of the Head Office, IOM Cameroon, the successful
candidate will be accountable and responsible for supporting the planning, coordination,
implementation and monitoring of emergency activities in IOM Sub-Office, Maroua, Cameroon.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Implement and monitor administrative and operational activities of approved
emergency-related projects in the Far North Regional of Cameroon.
- Monitor, supervise and oversee project staff responsible for the execution of emergency
projects as well as sub-office resource management staff. Ensure the application of procedural standards and policies of IOM projects.
- Monitor and assess the coordination of activities between IOM emergency projects and
relevant stakeholders in the different sectorial working groups, national and local authorities and donors, and bring issues to the attention of the supervisor, proposing course of action to
- Identify new opportunities consistent with approved projects and ongoing activities.
Recommend project improvements.
- Contribute to the development of emergency project implementation strategies aimed at
meeting projects’ objectives.
- Monitor, supervise and oversee the implementation of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) in coordination with IOM Cameroon’s DTM team as well as humanitarian actors, and provide timely inputs as required.
- Prepare or ensure timely preparation and submission of project proposals and reports
according to IOM and donor formats as required. Prepare regular updates, project summaries,
and other relevant materials.
- Undertake duty travel relating to need assessments, project monitoring, and liaison with
counterparts or donors, problem solving, as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Law, Political Science, Human Rights, International Relations,
Humanitarian Assistance or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two
years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project development, implementation and evaluation, and/or program
implementation and management;
• Knowledge of project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices;
• Familiarity with DOE thematic areas and how they relate to preventing and addressing crisis,
including crisis created by natural disasters and conflicts;
• Experience in liaising with government authorities, inter-governmental institutions, other
national and international institutions, donors, and national and international NGOs; and
• Experience in emergency response in the field, preferably in a context of conflict.
Fluency in English and French is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of
self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs,
perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
HOW TO APPLY:
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 04 December 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 21.11.2016 to 04.12.2016